How to Recycle/Recycling Facts
- Approximately 1.3 billion inkjet cartridges are used around the world annually and less than 30 percent are currently being recycled.
- In one year, if the world’s discarded cartridges were stacked end-to-end, they would circle the earth twice.
- Over 300 million inkjet cartridges and 70 million laser cartridges are sold in the U.S. annually. Despite the environmental and bottom-line benefits of recycling print cartridges, every year over 300 million cartridges with a combined weight of 150 million pounds are buried in our nation's landfills.
- A laser cartridge thrown into landfill can take up to 450 years to decompose. Some components made of industrial grade plastics will take over a thousand years to decompose.
- Eight ink cartridges are thrown away every second in the U.S.
- It takes about a gallon of oil to produce every new toner/laser cartridge.
- People can reduce landfilling when they recycle toner cartridges. Every remanufactured laser cartridge saves nearly 2 pounds of metal & plastic waste from being deposited in landfills. Toner cartridge remanufacturing saves over 38,000 tons of plastic and metal from landfills.